There are various ways to say “Hello” to someone.
- “Hi”–This is the everyday expression that you should probably use most.
- “Good morning”–Say this the first time you see someone in the morning. It sounds nice, though a little formal.
- “Morning!”–This is a more casual version of “Good morning”
- “Good afternoon” / “Good evening”–These are more formal than “Good morning”. You might say “Good afternoon” to a customer that you don’t know well, or on stage when giving a speech or lecture.
- “Hey”–You may use it with people that you know well. It is not exactly rude to use it with strangers, but, it might be confusing.
- “What’s up?”–This sounds casual and cool. It doesn’t need to be answered.
- “Sup?”–This is a slang version of “What’s up?”. Use it if you are a teenager.
- “How’s it going?”–It looks like a question, but sometimes it’s not. You can say this to someone instead of “Hello”.
- “Howdy”–A Southern way to say “Hello”. You might sound like a cowboy if you use it.
- “Well hello!”–It shows that you’re surprised to see someone, or you haven’t seen them in a long time.
- “Why hello there”–A man might say this to a beautiful woman, including his won girlfriend or wife.
- “Yo”–This is hip-hop slang. When you say this, you sound either tough and cool, or silly.
- “Greetings!”–An extremely formal greeting. Well you can use it if you are tired of using other phrases.
- “Look who it is!”–You can use this when you see someone that you haven’t seen in a long time. It sounds really excited.
- “Look what the cat dragged in!”–This is an energetic, teasing way to say “Hello” to someone that you haven’t seen in a while. It’s a kind of joke. You’re saying that the person looks like a dead mouse or some piece of trash that a cat has found and carried inside. Of course, it’s not serious. You only say this to tease the person. But not everyone thinks this joke is funny.